Thursday, February 23, 2006

Thursday Thirteen - Words that make you sound smarter than you are

Thursday Thirteen

Thirteen Words that THE MEDIAN SIB thinks make people sound smarter than they are

1. unobtrusive: Instead of "Would you just shut up!" you could say "Please be unobtusive so you won't disturb everyone."

2. maladroit: "I can't believe I was so clumsy!" will become "Goodness gracious, that was maladroit of me to knock that urn off the mantle!"

3. cacophony: "All this noise is driving me crazy!" will be "The cacophony in here is somewhat overwhelming."

4. retribution: Replace "I'll get you back, you scumbag!" with "I will exact retribution for your misdeeds."

5. fatigued: "I'm so tired." will become "I'm feeling a bit fatigued this evening."

6. insipid: Instead of "That speaker is boring me out of my mind!" substitute "That insipid speaker is giving me the vapors."

7. dishevelled and 8. manifestation: "Lord, I'm a mess today!" will be replaced with "My dishevelled appearance is a direct manifestation of an alarm clock malfunction this morning."

9. sagacious: Instead of "He thinks he's so smart!" would be "His perception of being sagacious is flawed."

10. wretched: "Omigod, after that party last night, I'm wasted!" is replaced with "The excess libations last night along with a paucity of slumber have rendered my countenance quite wretched."

11. conundrum: "These directions are totally confusing me!" becomes "These directions are a conundrum from which there is no escape."

12: restitution: Instead of asking for a refund, I'll say, "I demand restitution for the time and money this defective merchandise has cost me."

13. inexorable: "Monday morning always gets here too quickly." will be "The inexorable nature of the passage of time is an undeniable reality."

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. Joan (Joan, let me know if I used any of the words incorrectly!)

2. Jane

3. Terrell

4. Mel

5. Uisce

6. Nicole

7. Jill

8. Norma

9. Lazy Daisy

10. Nancy

11. Shash

12. Karen

13. Chickadee

14. Melissa

15. Leesa

16. Dariana

17. Ruth

18. Kelly

19. Dana

(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


No comments: