Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Read Across America and Dr. Seuss's Birthday

Did you know that this week is Read Across America week? Thursday, March 2nd is Theodor Seuss Geisel's birthday. Geisel (better known as Dr. Seuss) was born in 1904 and would have been 102 this year. He authored and illustrated forty-four children's books. The first one was published in 1936. Not only have our children grown up with his books, but we did and our parents did. Maybe even some of our grandparents.

Today was "Crazy Socks Day" at my school in honor of Fox in Socks, one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books. Children and teachers wore their craziest socks. For me, that meant some Rudolph-the-red-nosed-Reindeer socks. Yes, Christmas was over two months ago, but my Rudolph socks are the only unusual socks I own.

Fox in Socks is a tongue-twister of a book that the children LOVE, and it's great reading practice for them. They have to read THROUGH each word carefully to get it right. I used the book with a small fifth grade reading group yesterday, and I used it with first grade, second grade and fourth grade groups today, and they all loved it. I even read it aloud to the entire third grade yesterday. With a room full to bursting with children, it held each one's attention. In the small groups, it was fun to watch the children's faces as they struggled through the tongue twisters. There was laughter. No one realized they were getting some high quality oral reading practice. The introduction to Fox in Socks warns

Take it slowly. This book is dangerous!
And it is! Dangerous for anyone who doesn't want to smile. Here's a sample:

Let's do tricks with bricks and blocks, sir.
Let's do tricks with chicks and clocks, sir.
First, I'll make a quick trick brick stack.
Then I'll make a quick trick block stack.
You can make a quick trick chick stack.
You can make a quick trick clock stack.
Or how about this one?


Bim comes.
Ben comes.
Bim brings Ben broom.
Ben brings Bim broom.
Ben bends Bim's broom.
Bim bends Ben's broom.
Bim's bends.
Ben's bends.
Ben's bent broom breaks.
Bim's bent broom break.
Ben's band. Bim's band.
Big bands. Pig bands.
Tomorrow evening I will stop by Sam's Club to pick up NINE sheet cakes so that each child at my school can celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday on Thursday with a piece of birthday cake. I'll be wearing a Cat In The Hat hat as I dish out cake slices.

Your assignment: If you know a child, read a Dr. Seuss book to him or her this week.

No comments: