Thursday, February 02, 2006

A Heart Broken - When Children Go Astray

Another teacher mentioned today that there was an article in the newspaper I should read. When I said I didn't get the newspaper, she told me I could check online - that it would probably be on the newspaper's website. I went to the newspaper's website - something I've probably only done a couple of times before. I never got around to looking for the article because as soon as the site came up on the screen, I noticed that they had a button to click for local stories. One of the stories was about a string of nearby home burglaries. Nearby burglaries concern me. So I clicked that link instead.

It seems that an alert police officer noticed a car being driven erratically and heading away from a home that had been burglarized. He stopped the car, questioned the young driver and found some of the stolen jewelry inside. The guy had burglarized five nearby homes - stealing jewelry, bottles of wine and DVDs. He was charged with five counts of aggravated burglary and, as of yesterday afternoon, has not made bail.

I felt sick when I read the next part of the article because it listed the full name and address of the "man" who had committed the crimes. It was an 18-year old former student of mine. A boy I've known since he was in kindergarten when his older sister was in my class. A couple years later, when he reached second grade, he also was in my class. Smart - a handful - and the apple of his mother's eye. He was one of those students that made a lasting impression - a student and family I will always remember.

My heart is now broken for him and his family. I can only imagine what might have led to his actions. His mother and older sister must be light years beyond devastated and humilated. And I wonder how he is feeling...an 18-year old in an adult jail?

What do you do when someone you know has been arrested? It's a small community - everyone knows. Do you send a card to him or his mom? Do you call or visit? Do you write an email? If so, what do you say? Is there ettiquette for handling something like this.

No comments: