Tuesday, October 04, 2005

New Recipe (for me, anyway) - Hoppin' John

I wrote earlier about having hoppin' john with Italian sausage when I visited my camping friends over the weekend. Today I decided to tweak the recipe a bit - with good results. Here's my recipe:

Hoppin' John with Sausage
3 cans black-eyed peas
2 cans Ro-Tel tomatoes w/jalapenos
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 pound Italian or summer sausage (I bought the lower fat variety made from turkey)
approx. 1-2 cups cooked rice (more or less depending on your preference)

Slice the sausage into bite-sized pieces. Throw everything in a saucepan and simmer. That's it - an extremely simple meal. You can make smaller amounts, but I deliberately made a big batch so I'd have several packages to freeze for quick meals later. It is mildly spicy but absolutely delicious!

No comments: