Sunday, November 20, 2005

Malaprops and Mistakes In Advertising

Now that I've been reading Mother Tongue Annoyances lately, I have realized that spelling and grammar mistakes in advertising are quite common! My granddaughters spent last night with me, and this morning when their mom and dad picked them up, we all went to The Franklin Chop House for brunch. After eating, Sweet Stuff wanted me to take her to the bathroom. While I stood there in the stall waiting for her to take care of business, I glanced at the stall's advertising board. Nowadays, one can't even use the bathroom without being faced (literally) by advertising. One ad was for Chadwick's Personal Fitness Training. Here is part of their ad:


"Only excepting 200 training clients, we're the most exclusive training studio in Franklin."
(I added the bold print.)

Don't you just love it? If I'd had a camera, I would have taken a photo of it to post. I got out my purse, dug around for pen and paper and copied it down. Sweet Stuff wanted to know what I was writing, and I showed her my paper. "You drew a lot, Grandma Carol!" she commented. I did. I wanted to make sure I had the exact wording along with the website address, too.

I received an email one time that contained the phrase "for all intensive purposes" instead of "for all intents and purposes." I guess someone could have an intensive purpose. I don't know. I remember a comedian, Norm Crosby, who used malaprops as his comedy, and he was hilarious.

I'll take my camera with me to work tomorrow and hope that the Pizza Hut sign I mentioned a few days ago is still there. If it is, I'll post a picture of it here.

No comments: