Monday, November 14, 2005

James Frey - A Million Little Pieces

I wrote a few days ago that I was mid-way through reading A MILLION LITTLE PIECES by James Frey. (Click HERE to read the previous post). I finished it this morning. Wow! What an incredible story. I have only one issue with the book: Throughout all the horrors he faced, he paints himself as quite the tough, fearless and resolute rebel - with no need for the tried and true methods of drug rehab. There were times as I was reading that I thought, "No way! He couldn't have really done that!" or "That's not realistic!" But I know nothing of the world of drug addicts and rehab, and so I can't make any judgements about it. Regardless of how closely his description of the events follow the reality, it is still a fascinating book. At the end, he tells what has happened to the various people in the story since the end of his six weeks in rehab. Reading that one page alone is enough to stop you in your tracks. Despite its language and sexual content (both of which are graphic), I think it should be required reading for high school students. It would make them think seriously about the consequences of alcohol and drug use. There is nothing glamorous or exciting about the absolute depths of despair and depravity that he experienced because of his addiction to both alcohol and drugs. If you want a book that will hold you spellbound, will both horrify you and, strangely enough, uplift you, I would recommend A MILLION LITTLE PIECES.

No comments: