Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Earth from 6,000 feet

Recently I flew with PawPaw to Georgia and back. As I looked down from 6,000 feet in the air, there was one thing that made an indelible impression on me - how hazy everything look from the air. From the ground, the day looked crystal clear, but from up above, the haze of pollution kept us from seeing the ground clearly.

I was reminded of that experience when I saw that The National Association of Evangelicals has cited Genesis 2:15 ("The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.") as its basis for circulating among its leaders the draft of a policy statement that would encourage lawmakers to pass legislation creating mandatory controls for carbon emissions.

It sure makes sense to me. There's only one earth, and if we destroy it, we destroy ourselves.

No comments: