Thursday, December 01, 2005

Imagination Library and Dolly Parton

I mentioned in an earlier post this week that I attended a meeting for my principal this past Tuesday. It turned out that the meeting was the kick-off for our county's Imagination Library program. All the local tv news cameras were there. Imagination Library is a program initiated by Dolly Parton to provide books for children from birth to the age of five years old. After studying research that showed the importance of reading from birth, Dolly wanted to help the children in her area of Tennessee have their own books. Now the program has spread to other counties and is available nationally, too. I had hoped that Dolly would show up at the meeting I attended . . . but she didn't. C'est la vie.

Every child who is registered in the program receives a hardcover book every single month - completely free of charge. Books are carefully selected. Various businesses and other organizations provide sponsorship to cover the costs. Just think! Children who are registered at birth will have a library of sixty books by the time they reach the age of five!

What a wonderful way to get children reading and parents involved in reading, too! I was so excited about it that I made sure my two granddaughters were registered immediately after I left the meeting.

No comments: