Thursday, December 08, 2005

Yea for Positive Parenting

OK, I'll qualify what I'm about to relate by stating that I don't know these people, and I don't know the context for the remark I overheard. The child was not upset or crying and from outward appearances, she looked reasonably happy. Here's what happened:

I was walking down the school hallway on Tuesday and passed a mom, dad and daughter who had just left the cafeteria and were headed toward the kindergarten/first grade hallway. That would indicate that the little girl was most likely 5 - 7 years old.

As they walked past me, I overheard the father ask the child, "Did anything bad happen at school today?"

Again, I don't know the context and I don't know what prompted the question. We all know that the questions we ask and how we ask the questions determine the information we receive. I can't think of a good reason to ask that particular question. Can you?

No comments: