Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Dreaded "F" Word . . . again

Just an hour ago - morning bus duty in the gym. Several children in one of the first grade lines raise their hands. I walk over.

They exclaim, "John said a bad word."

John is shaking his head, "No, I didn't."

"Yes he did!"

"John," I ask, "What did you say?"

Without hesitation, John replies, "F*ck."

At first I'm not sure I heard correctly. I ask him to come with me, and I motion the other bus room monitor over. "John," I say, "Tell Miss Norma what you said."

"F*ck!" John replies, "but I don't know what that means!"

"You know it's not a nice word - even if you don't know what it means," Miss Norma replies.

So now I must write up a behavior form for John which he will take home to be signed by his parents. The principal will talk with him. John is already well known by the people in the school who handle behavior issues.

I'm curious - what would you other teachers do in this situation?

For another "F" word post, go HERE.

No comments: