Saturday, September 24, 2005

91 days till Christmas

Tomorrow's the 25th of September - just three months till Christmas. Let's see -- September has 30 days, October has 31 days and November 30 days...so that makes 91 days till Christmas. If my math is wrong, please don't tell me. It's not important.

Larisa and Joey tease me about my fixation on numbers. I'm always telling them things like "Two weeks from today I'll be in Alaska," or "Your birthday is only four months from today," etc. I like to think in terms of how many days, months, or years away certain events are or were. And in thinking of the future, it gives me a goal range. For example, when I noticed tomorrow's date, I immediately thought of 3 months till Christmas -- and then I thought of what goals I'd like to make for those three months. So that's where my thoughts are now -- what do I want to accomplish in the next three months.

First is my residence. I like where I live, but I don't really love it. I bought a townhouse after my divorce last year. I thought that I didn't want the bother and expense of maintaining a yard and I didn't want anything big. I miss having a separate house -- and since there are two units in my building, I feel that one side of my house is missing -- no windows on the side that's connected to the other unit. To me, it feels like something is missing. Although I have a screened-in back porch, it faces west, and it isn't comfortable to sit out there. In the evenings when I'd like to sit outside, the sun is glaring in my eyes and it's hot. The only view is the backs of other townhouses, and there's a street that ends right at my porch. The porch is high enough that the fence doesn't offer any privacy when I'm on the porch. Not very relaxing. So, one of my goals - not for the next 91 days, but for sometime in the next year or two - is to start looking for somewhere else to live. I'm okay where I am, but it's not home to me. Seeing my cousin Jane's house today made me realize the kind of place I want to live -- something country, a little rustic looking, with lots of room for entertaining, and lots of comfortable outdoor space. So I'm going to start looking and seeing what's available in my area.

Another goal is to get back involved with my friends. The past couple years have been rather stressful, and I haven't taken the time and effort to maintain my friendships. So that's my second goal. I'll get involved again in group activities and in church activities - not only for my social benefit but my spiritual benefit as well. It's easy to withdraw and stay inside myself. Getting out and being with other people gives me the opportunity to see beyond my own situation and issues. Another thing Joey and Larisa used to tease me by saying I only went to church for the social aspect of it. There WERE enough social benefits in terms of friendships and activities to make their accusation partly true.

That makes two rather large goals for the next three months - at least goals to get started. Other goals? I don't know at this point. I'll be thinking about it, though, and when I decide on them, I'll post them here.

2 comments:

Joan said...

Carol, I enjoyed reading your three new entries as soon as I got home from church today.

I wish I could have gone to Jared and Lim's reception yesterday. When Don and Claudia decided not to go and Jim couldn't go, I just was not up to finding it by myself. Sounds like I missed a good time.

Interesting thoughts on French women and fat. Something to mull over.

Anonymous said...

Mom, I think it is fabulous your goals. It is funny, I was just thinking the other day that you should get back into the church thing. I don't know what made me think of it, but I always thought during that time you seem so happy to have all the friends and activities. I love you!