Wednesday, January 09, 2008

"Intensive Purposes" or "Intents and Purposes"

I always get tickled when I hear people say “For all intensive purposes” instead of “for all intents and purposes.” I was reading another blog this morning (I won’t embarrass the writer by telling which one) that used the phrase “intensive purposes.” I’m sorry, but when someone uses language so incorrectly, it’s difficult to pay much attention to the rest of what they’re saying or writing. “Intensive purposes” really doesn’t make sense in that context. Do people even THINK about the meaning of what they’re saying or writing? I dated a guy once who sent out a group email with the phrase “intensive purposes” in it. Although it made me cringe, I never pointed it out.

For what it’s worth, folks, the phrase is “FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES.”

No comments: